In this episode I am sharing what you should consider when training after 40 years old. ALL OF YOU should be training after 40, but there are some considerations to ensure you optimise your experience and don’t get injured.
What to consider before you turn 40, to train smarter (0:30)
- The story about a senior client he had trained in the past
- When you’re in your 20s, you could sleep for four hours, go to work or university and be coherent enough to get through today.
- Now you can be out of breath going upstairs
- Or starting to make the sound that you remember your parents making when they got up and down from the sofa.
Now you’re 40, you want to do something about it (04:58)
- Running is the number one choice for people when they want to get back to fitness.
- Whilst running is good for the cardio, good for the lung capacity, it doesn’t help with all the things that can occur from the modern workplace.
- Sitting down, the long hours hunched over require a different type of training or additional training to standard running.
The problem with Instagram “influencers”. (06:18)
- Most influencers are in their 20’s
- Their hormones are right for the experience
- They know how to filter their photographs for better effects,
- They have little to no other responsibilities.
- As you get to 36, 37 and beyond to the 40s, you have responsibilities which need to be taken into consideration when looking at your training.
Think of your health like a savings account. (07:08)
- Kind of like what they say when talking about a savings account.
- The best time to start saving, is in the 20s because of compound interest.
- By the time you get into your 50s or 60s, you got a hefty sum in that savings account.
- But you know, sometimes that doesn’t happen and the next best time is now.
The principles to train smart, which enables you to work smart. (07:40)
- One of the big principles is the ability for your health and your career to coexist.
- It doesn’t become a zero sum game where you focus on family and career, while health gets pushed to the wayside.
- It requires systems to be put in place, and hierarchy of importance for your health has to be pushed up.
- If you take that on board now, you’ll be ahead of the curve.
Factors for you to consider when training after 40 (19:18)
- Quality of sleep
- Stress management
- the four S’s of exercise:
- Strength training
- Stability training
- Eating for health, predominantly
Although I’ve said post 40, these are actually principles you should consider implementing well before 40 years old.
As you approach your 40’s you can’t train like you did in your 20’s (if you did train at all). By adopting the principles discussed in this episode, you will be training smart and light years ahead of people your age in terms of training and injury prevention.
Avoid these 3 mistakes to get fit after 40